- CHRISTIAN LIFE - Liberation Mandate @40: David Oyedepo: A man of grace; God’s gift to Nigeria for the world
- IBORI: Oghara Union tasks Malami, UK on repatriation delay
- Delta police Command warns criminals: State no go area to you, arrests killers of policemen, others
- Amotekun evicts another 137 northerners from Ondo forest
- PERSPECTIVE - The Benuenisation of Niger State and the bandits war
By Chukwudi Abiandu
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has decried the penchant of the Economic and Financial Cries commission (EFCC) to disobey court orders, with a call on President Muhammadu Buhari to call the Commission and it’s leadership to order.
The PDP made the call on Sunday February 4, 2018 in Asaba, the Delta state capital at a meeting of its National Working Committee (NWC) and the Governors of the party, where they issued a comunique that touched on burning national issues including the unabated killings and problems of insecurity in the country, massive corruption in the Buhari administration, and the withdrawal of $1billion from the excess crude account, which the party says it vehemently opposed, among others.
1. We strongly condemn the unabated killings across the country. We call on Mr. President to come out clean on the herdsmen killings and address the nation on how to end the carnage. The President must take responsibility on the protection of lives and property of Nigerians which is the most important of his responsibilities. We believe that the Federal Government’s decision to set up a Committee to address the issues of herdsmen killings is a pretentious approach to a matter thst requires firm action and leadership by the President in line with his oath of office to protect all Nigerians irrespective of creed, tribe and political affiliation.
2. The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has been the author of restructuring and this was further expressed in the Report of the 2014 National Conference. The All Progressive Congress (APC) as a later day convert of restructuring is merely paying lip service to a matter of national importance. However, we have mandated our members in the National Assembly to immediately commence the process of initiating a Bill to address issues bothering on restructuring.
3. We urge Mr. President to henceforth direct the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to adhere to the Rule of Law by obeying Court judgments and orders such as the one involving the Ekiti State Government against EFCC and restrain itself from further political intimidation and harassment of known or perceived political opponents. We commend the judiciary for their commitment to the enthronement of constitutional democracy in the face of intimidation and harassment.
4. We condemn in strong terms the massive corruption going on in the management of fuel subsidy regime which the Federal Government had declared non existent while billions of Naira are deducted monthly at Federation Accounts Allocation Committee (FAAC) meetings.
5. The PDP states and local governments are vehemently opposed to the unilateral withdrawal of USD1Billion from the Excess Crude Account by the Federal Government under any guise. We want to state unequivocally that neither the Governors’ Forum nor the Federal Executive Council has the power of appropriation of Federation Accounts, as such powers reside with the National and State Assemblies.
6. We commend members of our party for their unalloyed support. We reiterate that our repositioned party is prepared for the 2019 elections and will ensure that all Nigerians aspiring to elective offices are free to contest on the platform of the PDP. We want to assure that no established organ of the party is allowed to align with any presidential aspirant. We thank the people and government of Delta State for playing host to this all important meeting.
Prince Uche Secondus Ayo Fayose
National Chairman Chairman PDP Governors’ Forum Nigeria