- Show will to end insecurity in the land, Gbagi urges Nigerians, says states should decide herdsmen’s operation
- No grazing law in Delta, says Mrakpor; speaks on 2023 guber tussle, activities of DSCTDA
- Okowa tasks ICAN, other professional bodies on national planning
- PERSPECTIVE - Túpac Amaru: Senior Prefect in the liberation pantheon
- CHRISTIAN LIFE - Liberation Mandate @40: David Oyedepo: A man of grace; God’s gift to Nigeria for the world
The Delta State Government has frowned at the unauthorized levies and fees unilaterally imposed on pupils by Schools and sending children away from school with the added threat of being flogged for inability to pay ‘school’ fees.
The Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Mr Chiedu Ebie made this known in an interview with journalists during an inspection visit to Okotie-Eboh Primary School 1 & II, Sapele in Sapele Local Government Area, Delta state on the basis of the video of one Miss Success of Okotie Eboh Primary School, Sapele who was sent for the inability to pay school fees.
According to Mr Ebie, “Since the video of Miss Success of Okotie Eboh Primary School, Sapele broke and went viral last Friday, I have been inundated with messages and calls.
“By virtue of the Universal Basic Education (UBE) Act, Education at the Basic Education Level is FREE. However in Delta State that provision is also extended to Senior Secondary Level with the resultant effect being that Basic and Secondary Education (primary, junior and secondary) in Delta State is and still remains free.
“It therefore means that the Head Teacher of the school had no right to impose any levy or fees on the pupils of her school. In my brief encounter with the Head Teacher this morning, there appeared to be numerous inconsistencies in her response on this issue as she was unable to categorically state who authorized her to impose the levies or fees which is in clear breach of the extant rules.
“Consequently, I have directed the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) to suspend the Head Teacher pending the outcome of a formal enquiry into the issue of unauthorized levies/and fees imposed by her in the school,” the education Commissioner stated.