- E-Cigarettes bad for the heart: Scientists
- Asaba-Illa Federal Road: DTSG takes safety measures, closes section of road to heavy vehicles
- 2023 Delta Guber: Kenneth Gbagi declares intention to contest, begins consultations
- Appeal Court judgment: My mandate as Oyo gov remains intact, says Makinde
- Tam David-West, ex-Petroleum Minister dies at 83; Buhari mourns
The All Progressives Congress (APC), Delta State has expressed concern over what it called the unscrupulous enrichment of a few privileged leaders and members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state through the Delta State Oil Producing Area Development Commission (DESOPADEC).
State APC Publicity Secretary, Barrister Sylvester Imonina in a statement today, Tuesday, November 5, 2019, alleged that the “Commission that is supposed to be an interventionist agency for the good of Deltans from oil-producing communities is now a cesspool of personal aggrandisement and corruption!”
Imonina stated: “The present DESOPADEC budget for the oil-producing area is about #28bn (twenty-eight billion naira). A critical look at the budget shows the following:
“(1) #4.6bn (four billion, six hundred million naira) for media propaganda of things claimed to be done, yet “not done” for the area of the mandate of the Commission, for the fiscal year. Why that humongous amount! A good product does not need advertisement. The claimed projects will advertise themselves through the beneficiaries and not the media hype.”
Full text of the APC statement reads:
DELTA STATE OIL PRODUCING AREA DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION (DESOPADEC): NOW A CONDUIT PIPE FOR ENRICHMENT OF A FEW PRIVILEGED PDP LEADERS/MEMBERS IN DELTA STATE.
The All Progressives Congress, Delta State, expresses her concern and disappointment on the unscrupulous enrichment of a few privileged leaders/members of PDP in Delta State through Delta State Oil Producing Area Development Commission (DESOPADEC). A Commission that is supposed to be an interventionist agency for the good of Deltans from oil-producing communities is now a cesspool of personal aggrandisement and corruption!
While the commoners/the poor from the oil-producing communities are wallowing in abject deprivation of social basic amenities such as good schools, good roads, portable water, health care and other basic necessities of life. In fact, the State is rich enough to provide alternative electricity for her people, but unfortunately, some few persons in Delta State PDP led government are feasting on their commonwealth. Oh, what a people!
The present DESOPADEC budget for oil-producing area is about #28bn (twenty-eight billion naira). A critical look at the budget shows the following:
(1) #4.6bn (four billion, six hundred million naira) for media propaganda of things claimed to be done, yet “not done” for the area of mandate of the Commission, for the fiscal year. Why that humongous amount! A good product does not need advertisement. The claimed projects will advertise themselves through the beneficiaries and not the media hype.
(2) #5.2bn (five billion, two hundred million naira)vfor the fiscal year, on security in the area of mandate. In other words, over #433m (four hundred and thirty three million naira) is budgeted/spent on a monthly basis!
(3) #3.6bn (three billion, six hundred million naira) on Water ways and land security committee. That is, #300m (three hundred million naira) on a monthly basis. This is a committee that ought to be directly financed by the State Government, but same was given to DESOPADEC as an added burden and a pipe for frittering away our commonwealth. Information available says that the committee is an avenue for empowering some few PDP thugs/members who could not be given the position of Special Assistants and Aides to the Governor. What a way to waste resources of our dear State.
(4) #5bn (five billion naira) for miscellaneous, entertainment and other frivolous things. Who are they entertaining? That is left for Deltans to imagine!
Meanwhile, after the addition of monies for salaries of DESOPADEC Staff to the above, what is left for the developmental projects for the oil-producing areas in Delta State is only a meagre sum, around the neighbourhood of #4bn (four billion naira). This is criminal thievery and neglect of the people who purportedly “voted” PDP into power in Delta State, and it is unacceptable. Deltans never bargained for this!
We are not unaware of other sordid things that are going on in the Commission! Those concerned should know that Deltans are presently wiser than yesterday. The patience of Deltans should not be taken for granted.
We call on the members of Delta State House of Assembly to live up to their responsibilities. One of their duties is to act as check to the excesses of the Executive Arm of Government. We hope they have not traded this power to check for a pot of porridge?
We also call on Civil Society Organisations and all people of goodwill to come out of their comfort zones and put the Government of Delta State on the right track. The resources of the State should be seen in the physical development of the State. Things cannot continue like this. We are tired of the more you look, the less you see, projects only existing on paper and in the media.
IF WE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS AND ACT NOW, OUR CHILDREN AND UPCOMING GENERATION(S)/HISTORY WILL JUDGE US, WHETHER WRONGLY OR RIGHTLY.
Barr. Ogheneluemu Sylvester Imonina,
Publicity Secretary, APC, Delta State.
Dated this 5th day of November, 2019.